Algorithms and programs for analysing electric field recordings of weakly electric fish.
Weakly electric fish generate an electric organ discharge (EOD). In wave-type fish the EOD resembles a sinewave of a specific frequency and with higher harmonics. In pulse-type fish EODs have a distinct waveform and are separated in time. The thunderfish package provides algorithms and tools for analysing both wavefish and pulsefish EODs.
Simply run (as superuser):
pip install thunderfish
The thunderfish package provides the following software:
- fishfinder: Browse EOD recordings and detect EOD frequencyies on the fly.
- thunderfish: Automatically detect and analyze all EOD waveforms in a short recording and generate a summary plot and data tables. Read documentation.
- collectfish: Collect data generated by thunderfish. Read documentation.
- eodexplorer: View and explore properties of EOD waveforms. Read documentation.
The following modules provide the algorithms for analyzing EOD recordings. Look into the modules for more information.
- configfile.py: Configuration file with help texts for analysis parameter.
- consoleinput.py: User input from console.
- dataloader.py: Load time-series data from files.
- tabledata.py: Read and write tables with a rich hierarchical header including units and formats.
Basic data analysis
- eventdetection.py: Detect and hande peaks and troughs as well as threshold crossings in data arrays.
- powerspectrum.py: Compute and plot powerspectra and spectrograms for a given minimum frequency resolution.
- voronoi.py: Analyse Voronoi diagrams based on scipy.spatial.
- multivariateexplorer.py: Simple GUI for viewing and exploring multivariate data.
- bestwindow.py: Select the region within a recording with the most stable signal of largest amplitude that is not clipped.
- checkpulse.py: Check whether a pulse-type or a wave-type weakly electric fish is present in a recording.
- consistentfishes.py: Create a list of EOD frequencies with fishes present in all provided fish lists.
- eodanalysis.py: Analyse EOD waveforms.
- harmonics.py: Extract and analyze harmonic frequencies from power spectra.
- pulses.py: Extract and cluster EOD waverforms of pulse-type electric fish.
- fakefish.py: Simulate EOD waveforms.
- efield.py: Simulations of spatial electric fields.
- fishshapes.py: Manipulate and plot fish outlines.